PUBLISHING WITH CYPRESS
Cypress has been receiving over 100 submissions each year. If you are a Canadian choral composer or arranger, and would like Cypress to consider your music for publication, please email a PDF file with an MP3 to match the score. (no hard copies, please; we do not return hard copies) – to our benevolent editor-in-chief, Dr. Nickel, firstname.lastname@example.org Consider these details please:
- Decisions for publishing are based on three factors: 1) quality of the composition, 2) relevance/subject matter and 3) marketability.
- You should send up to three of your best titles.
- Please be sure your music is legible – preferably generated with notation software like Sibelius or Finale.
- Multiple a cappella choral staves (e.g. SATB) should have a piano reduction.
- You need to include an MP3 of your music; a quality choral performance. These days it’s nearly impossible to sell choral music without convincing choral recordings. (with genuine voices – not computer simulations)
- A composer should never submit a composition to two publishers at the same time.
- Arrangements of popular songs? Please be sure you have copyright permission for any piece which is not in the public domain.
- Poetry? Please be sure you have written permission to use any poem which is not in the public domain.
- It would also be wise to scan through our catalogue to see if your text has already been covered by Cypress composers – (and then offer something fresh) Please check out our thematic index.
Timeline: Composers may submit their creations at any time.
Cypress works with seven choral expert curators who are developing special collections:
Dr. Julia Davids: The Canadian Chamber Choir Series – music for accomplished choirs
Dr. Laurier Fagnan: La série enchantée – new visions in French-Canadian Music
Morna Edmundson: The Elektra Women’s Choir Series – music for accomplished treble choirs
Zimfira Poloz: The Zimfira Collection – choral gems for children’s choir
Carrie Tennant: The Vancouver Youth Choir Series – new adventures for youth choirs
Dr. Mark Sirett: PROFONDO – the Mark Sirett Series – quality music for low voices
Dr. Joy Berg: Songs for the Sanctuary – music for the church choir
Composers should never submit the same composition to two publishers at the same time. Please be patient and wait until Cypress staff have made a decision on your music before showing it to another publisher.