PUBLISHING WITH CYPRESS
Cypress has been receiving over 100 submissions each year. If you are a Canadian choral composer or arranger, and would like Cypress to consider your music for publication, please email a PDF file with an MP3 to match the score. (no hard copies, please; we do not return hard copies). Details:
- Decisions for publishing are based on three factors: quality of the composition, relevance/subject matter and marketability.
- You may send up to three of your best titles.
- Please be sure your music is legible – preferably generated with notation software like Sibelius or Finale.
- Multiple a cappella choral staves (e.g. SATB) should have a piano reduction.
- You should also include an MP3 of your music; a quality choral performance. (These days it’s nearly impossible to sell choral music without attractive demo recordings.)
- It would also be wise to scan through our catalogue to see if your text has already been covered by Cypress composers – (and then offer something fresh).
Timeline: Composers may submit their creations at any time. Cypress selects approximately twenty new choral pieces each year. Decisions are made in November and December for the following year. Winners are announced in January and February – and then the process of typesetting, formatting and proof reading begins. We normally release new publications in May and June.
Cypress works with six choral expert curators who are developing special collections:
Dr. Julia Davids: The Canadian Chamber Choir Series – music for accomplished choirs
Dr. Laurier Fagnan: La série enchantée – new visions in French-Canadian Music
Morna Edmundson: The Elektra Women’s Choir Series – music for accomplished treble choirs
Zimfira Poloz: The Zimfira Collection – choral gems for children’s choir
Carrie Tennant: The Vancouver Youth Choir Series – new adventures for youth choirs
Note: composers should never submit the same composition to two publishers at the same time. Please be patient and wait until Cypress staff have made a decision on your music before showing it to another publisher.