PUBLISHING WITH CYPRESS
Cypress has been receiving over 100 submissions each year. If you are a Canadian choral composer or arranger, and would like Cypress to consider your music for publication, please email a PDF file with an MP3 to match the score. (no hard copies, please; we do not return hard copies) – to our benevolent editor-in-chief, Dr. Nickel, firstname.lastname@example.org Study these details please:
- Decisions for publishing are based on three factors: 1) quality of the composition, 2) relevance/subject matter and 3) marketability.
- You may send up to three of your best titles.
- Please be sure your music is legible – preferably generated with notation software like Sibelius or Finale.
- Multiple a cappella choral staves (e.g. SATB) should have a piano reduction.
- You should also include an MP3 of your music; a quality choral performance. (These days it’s nearly impossible to sell choral music without attractive demo recordings.)
- A composer should never submit a composition to two publishers at the same time.
- Arrangements of popular songs? Please be sure you have copyright permission for any piece which is not in the public domain.
- Poetry? Please be sure you have written permission to use any poem which is not in the public domain.
- It would also be wise to scan through our catalogue to see if your text has already been covered by Cypress composers – (and then offer something fresh, eh! 🙂
Timeline: Composers may submit their creations at any time. However, decisions are usually made each December and winners are announced the following January and February – and then the process of typesetting, formatting and proof reading begins. We normally release new publications in May and June – when many directors are making plans for the next choir season.
Cypress works with six choral expert curators who are developing special collections:
Dr. Julia Davids: The Canadian Chamber Choir Series – music for accomplished choirs
Dr. Laurier Fagnan: La série enchantée – new visions in French-Canadian Music
Morna Edmundson: The Elektra Women’s Choir Series – music for accomplished treble choirs
Zimfira Poloz: The Zimfira Collection – choral gems for children’s choir
Carrie Tennant: The Vancouver Youth Choir Series – new adventures for youth choirs
Improve your chances when submitting music to Cypress for publishing. Visit our WRITING FOR CHOIRS.
Note: composers should never submit the same composition to two publishers at the same time. Please be patient and wait until Cypress staff have made a decision on your music before showing it to another publisher.