COMMISSION A COMPOSITION FOR YOUR CHOIR
Composer Dr. Larry Nickel is an Associate Member of the Canadian Music Centre. He has written hundreds of compositions for choirs. Above image – rehearsing his “Requiem for Peace” at Carnegie Hall.
Larry gladly accepts Canadian League of Composer rates whenever he can get them. (see here) These rates (starting at $485 per minute of music) are beyond the reach of some choirs. Not to worry.
Larry Nickel – commission rates for choral compositions – 2021
1) arrangement of an existing piece – a cappella choral – $1395.00
2) arrangement of an existing piece – choral with keyboard accomp. – $1595.00
3) original composition for a cappella choral (SATB, TTBB, SSA, etc) – $1795.00
4) original composition for a choral piece with keyboard accomp.- $1995.0
5) re-voicing of one of Nickel’s own pieces (e.g. SATB to TTBB) – $695.00
Add an accompanying instrument for an extra $100. (e.g. flute, oboe, clarinet, cello, violin, banjo, kazoo, accordion, etc)
These fees are open to negotiation. Any combination of voices and instruments is possible.
Larry specializes in “Made-to-Measure” collaborations with choirs. For example:
1) “Larry, our Community Choir is touring Europe in April and we’ll have 10 sopranos, 8 altos, 3 tenors and 5 basses. Only a few of the singers have formal music education and the youngest singer is 68 years old. The sopranos can sound good up to an F and the basses can hit a low F. The tenors struggle above an Eb. Please let the altos carry the melody in a few places. Our piano player is very skilled. We want a song that the choir can memorize; something that is fun, inviting, and inclusive; something that talks about the beauty of Canada. One of our singers has written a poem you can use.”